The Australia and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC) system:
- classifies entities based on their main business activity
- helps collect and analyse industry statistics.
The ANZSIC system has a four-level coding structure with increasing detail at each level:
- broad industry classification denoted by a letter (industry division)
- two-digit code (industry subdivision)
- three-digit code (industry group)
- four-digit code (industry class).
In your report, list the four-digit industry class that best describes your main business activity, especially if your organisation works in multiple industries. For example, if 60% of your employees work in one section of the organisation, the day-to-day duties of this section would be your main activity. This code:
- informs which entities a corporate structure can report on together
- helps our Competitor Analysis Benchmark Reports (CABR) accurately compare gender performance down to this level.
Your benchmark reports will be more meaningful if entities in different ANZSIC subdivisions, groups or classes report separately.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics website can help you determine your correct industry classification. It has:
- division codes
- a list of business activities and exclusions for each industry class.
ANZSIC industry divisions
|A||Agricultural, Forestry and Fishing|
|D||Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services|
|H||Accommodation and Food Services|
|I||Transport, Postal and Warehousing|
|J||Information Media and Telecommunications|
|K||Financial and Insurance Services|
|L||Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services|
|M||Professional, Scientific and Technical Services|
|N||Administrative and Support Services|
|O||Public Administration and Safety|
|P||Education and Training|
|Q||Health Care and Social Assistance|
|R||Arts and Recreation Services|
Example: using ANZSIC codes
|Mining||B||Exploration and Other Mining Support Services||10||Exploration||101||Petroleum Exploration||1011|
|Mining||B||Exploration and Other Mining Support Services||10||Exploration||101||Mineral Exploration||1012|
|Mining||B||Exploration and Other Mining Support Services||10||Other Mining Support Services||109||Other Mining Support Services||1090|